The Old Lighthouse is a historic maritime landmark in Puducherry. In November 1835, the French built the light house to be used a beacon for ships travelling to the French capital of India. The old light house now stays as a remembrance of the French and their regalia.
The Old Lighthouse 29 metres high structure with a round tower and a square base. It was considered quite modern in those times for its unusual structure. Initially the light source was a collection of six oil lamps and two reflectors. Electric lamp was introduced at The Old Lighthouse in 1913. The light house was shut down in 1979 and a new one was constructed in Kirapalaiyam village. Even though The Old Lighthouse isn't operated now, it remains a tourist attraction in Pondicherry.
A part of The Old Lighthouse has been turned into a museum known as the Jawahar Toy museum. The space in front of the light house becomes the hubbub of several cultural and musical activities, around the year.
The Old Lighthouse can be visited during timings 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM on all days of the week except Mondays. Usually visitors spend around 1-2 hours at the Old Lighthouse. The Old Lighthouse has an amazing view at the top.