Ausa Fort is situated at a distance of 32 kms from Latur city.
The specialty of the Ausa fort is that it featured prominently in the conflicts between the Deccan Sultanates in the post Bahamani period. It was captured by Malik Ambar, in 1014, and was renamed by him as Ambarapur, which was later changed to Amrapur. The fort is situated in a depression, surrounded by high ground on all the sides so that from its highest point,one can have a view of the approaching armies even at a great distance, while the main parts of the fort remain hidden from the latter.
Almost square in shape, the Ausa fort has a moat or khandak (ditch) around, nearly 36. 58 metres (120 ft) in width, now nearly dry. Fort has a retaining wall, a covered way, a double rampart fortified further with massive bastions, which are mostly semi-circular mounted with huge cannon. Some of these guns bear the names of Turkish engineers in service under Adil Sahi and Nizam Sahi kings. At present there are no buildings of any note except for a recent Baradari constructed by Colonel Meadows Taylor on a circular bastion of the fortification adjoining the first inner gateway of the fort. There are some badly abraded Nilgari inscriptions fitted into the stone masonry of the guard rooms. One of them records the name of Murtaza Nizam sah and the date 1529. Besides the other buildings, there is the usual Pani mahal in a ruined condition, quite a few large wells now unused, a mosque and a dargah of one Sayyad Sadat. Outside the fort is an old Jama mosque and in the prayer niche is two inscriptions in Persian, which record the names of Emperor Aurangzeb and Sohrab Khan, the builder of the mosque.
The Ausa Fort is open on all days of the week during timings 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM. The fort can be visited to relive the past and explore the mystical domes, which holds facts and intriguing stories. It is advisable to avoid visiting during the monsoons as the rains make the fort steps slippery.